--- On Wed, 5/27/09, Christopher K. Greenhalgh <ch...@n8wct.com> wrote:

> From: Christopher K. Greenhalgh <ch...@n8wct.com>
> Subject: [digitalradio] HF RTTY help
> To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 5:29 PM
> Hello all!
>
> Newbie to the group, and to HF RTTY as well, and have a
> question...
>
> My equipment is an Icom 746 Pro interfaced with a
> Kantronics KAM+. The
> terminal software is XPWare.
>
> I'm an old school packeteer, so I know I have every thing
> installed
> correctly (it works fine on the VHF side) and I have all
> the correct
> parameters (45 baud, shift/mark/space tone freqs, ect)in
> place when I go
> over to do RTTY.
>
> Okay, so I start tuning around 14.080 USB, and can clearly
> hear RTTY tones.
> I use the KAMs meter to home in on the signal, but when I
> get there, I just
> get gibberish to the screen. I know its trying to decode
> it, as the
> gibberish will go away if I tune off just a little bit.
>
> I've been messing with this for a week...any ideas?
>
> Thanks much!
>
> 73.
>
> -Chris

First thing switch over to lsb or use the reverse switch (probably softwear
function).  Normal ham rtty is transmitted (when using the audio tones) by
sending in lsb and you should receive there also.

I won't get into it here,but ham rtty is usually sent with the 'space' lower in
frequency than the 'mark' frequency.  It was started before ssb transmitters
were common.  In order to reverse the audio comming out of the receiver you
must transmitt and receive in lsb if using the normal audio tones of 2125 and
2295.
If you are using FM on vhf then you will normally set the audio tones so mark
is 2125 and space is 2295.