From: "Gmail - Kevin, Natalia, Stacey & Rochelle" <spar...@gmail.com>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, October 20, 2009 10:05:10 PM
Subject: [digitalradio] Throught of a Digital Propagation Tool

Hi All,

Just having a brain spark (not so many
now-a-days)

With all the new digital modes being devopled upto this date
and the way some work; I was wondering if there could be some of propagation
tool here?
Thought would be some form of automation on spot frequecies on
the different bands that cold record/monitor the propergation between
continents.
Of course this would require stations to dedicate their radio
to this, but it could only be when the radio was not in operator
use.
I can remember quite a few years ago a ham friend who was a
Amtor/Packet Sysop (using a PK-232) and he mentioned the band switching would
allow him to get a good propagation view. But it was limited as it was setup
for
specific remote stations, he was not transferring to Asia or Europe, his hop
was
Austrailia and a couple of West Coast stations.

It would require the software to control the scanning and
switching of bands on the radio. Most radios that have scan functions, once
switched to TX will not satrt scanning again.

Thought would be to have the software scan each band at
(say) 3 min intervals within a 30 min period, this would allow for slight
differences in computer clocks. And then TX and monitor for 5 mins, recording
any propergation traffic. Now I might be well off the mark here, just throwing
something into the air for thoughts.
Then the cycle woud start again.
The data could then be uploaded to a central (online)
monitoring database. The software could be configured to ignor certain calls
for
a band as this would swamp the reports. (I don't want to know ZL's (or even
VK's) are being heard on 80 or 40mtrs, but I would like to know and
report if Europe, Asia or the Americas are.

Here is how I would see it

mm - Band
00 - 160Mtrs
03 - 80Mtrs
06 - 40Mtrs
09 - 30Mtrs
12 - 20Mtrs
15 - 17Mtrs
18 - 15Mtrs
21 - 13Mtrs
24 - 10Mtrs
27 - 6Mtrs (Most new radios have this now)

And then back to the top of the 30 min cycle
again.

I don't know what mode would be the best but I was thinking
digital PSK31, but there could be a better digital mode.

Anyway just some thoughts I had floating around and thought I
would put it out there. I might be totally off the mark, but hey got to put
things out there to think about.

Thanks for Listening.

Kevin, ZL1KFM.