>From what I understand, we do not have an actual bandwidth limit on HF, but we
>do have a practical one, based upon PART97 prohibitions against harmful
>interference and of course the 300 baud limit.

The wider HF digital modes 'get around' the 300 baud limit by transmitting
multiple streams, each at less than 300 baud inividually but adding up to
something significantly higher. Q15x25 for example transmits fifteen PSK
streams for an effective 2.5 kb data rate. The transmitted signal is about the
same width as PACTOR III, around 2.5 kHz.

The legality of 'getting around' the 300 baud limit with multiple streams has
not been established. So far, the FCC has not put its foot down on the matter
but that is no guarantee that they will not decide to do so at some point in
the future, perhaps when and if they feel that the practice has gotten out of
hand.

The prohibition against deliberate harmful interference is the real limiting
factor. We must remember that saying "I didn't listen before transmitting, so I
didn't know I would interfere." is no defense whatsoever against a complaint of
deliberate interference. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that if
you transmit an ultra-wide signal on busy, crowded amateur radio spectrum
without taking pains to find a clear spot of the required size, that you will
most certainly end up crashing other hams QSOs.

In light of this, and the fact that our spectrum is shared spectrum where
nobody owns a frequency, you may wonder why we do not have a bandwidth limit on
HF. There are a number of reasons for this, but the main one is that we are
expected to experiment with radio technology, to push the envelope in various
ways that may require more bandwidth than usual. This is something to consider
if you are wondering why the FCC has not put their foot down so far on the 300
baud rule. They are giving us "leeway".

Playing with ultra-wide signals on an occasional, experimental basis is not so
difficult. As we all know, sometimes the HF bands are packed from one end to
the other, and at other times there are great, wide stretches of unused
spectrum out there. I'll mention here that the more useful and popular bits of
spectrum ( 20m for example ) are going to be unoccupied a lot less often than
17 or 15m for example. So, for a careful and thoughtful experimenter, finding a
stretch of open spectrum to play with a wide signal is not such a difficult
thing to do.

Not to mention VHF and UHF of course, the best and most reasonable place to
experiment by far.

Where we run into difficulties on HF is when we stop experimenting with wide
modes and start attempting to use them on a regular basis. This is because we
simply cannot realistically expect to find that much open HF spectrum on a
useful frequency, in the same spot, on a regular basis.

The problem is compounded when you attempt to utilize wide signals this way
with an unattended, automated server. With no human there to look for times
when the required amount of spectrum is open, we must depend upon 'signal
detection' software and there are limitations to signal detection that make it
progressively slower and uncertain as you sample a wider area for signals.

I think we can all take it for granted that WinLink's "to hell with our fellow
hams" approach of running wide signals with no signal detection whatsoever is
not acceptible, and may well bring on the crackdown upon signals above 300 baud
that I mentioned the possibility of, earlier. Thumbing their noses at the
amateur radio community and the PART97 regulations that way cannot be
realistically expected to return a good long-term outcome. They endanger us all
as they test the FCC's patience this way.

I have more to say about the inherent limits to signal detection but this post
is getting too long already.

So, we do not have a codified limit to bandwidth, but we do have a number of
practical ones that should be easy to stay out of trouble with, as long as we
play well with others and follow the rules. ( PART97 and The Amateurs Code )

Otherwise - we are asking for trouble and will not like the result that follows.

73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Prefer to use radio for your amateur radio communications? - Stop by at
HamRadioNet.Org !

http://www.hamradionet.org