The problem with worrying about "people interfering with this hobby", you have
to narrowly define "this hobby".

OK, staying with your analogy, we'd have to set surface street speed limits in
concrete based on how fast a Ford Model T could have been safely driven,
leading to a national maximum speed limit of what?  40 MPH?  Lanes probably
should be subsequently narrowed, too.

Restricting research and innovation to VHF/UHF bands is not the answer.  It's a
little hard to test the NVIS or ionospheric characteristics of a new mode on 6
meteres and up.

I've yet to hear a rational reason why a DSB AM transmission should be allowed
to utilize 6 Khz of bandwidth, but not a digital one.

Please note that I am not suggesting that hams should use 6 Khz. wide modes on
a daily basis for ragchewing.  From a practical standpoint, 3 Khz. is probably
a PRACTICAL limit, for the time being, if we are discussing sound card modes
modulating SSB signals.  But I'd also like to see spread spectrum
experimentation on HF, too.  Maybe some fruitful experimentation would wind up
earning us MORE HF spectrum, if we could show it could be put to good use.

--
Dave Sparks
AF6AS