I would agree with the others, if you want to get the most use out of it then
using a terminal program is the way to go. Look for the freeware Terra Term Pro
or Windows Hyperterminal.

For Pactor-1 qsos I would try listening or calling CQ on 14.111MHz (center
frequency). I usually hear several pactor stations on there everyday.

Pactor-1 is sideband independent but the convention is to use LSB.

The 232's tones are 2310Hz (Space) and 2110Hz (Mark) which means you would need
to tune to 14113.21 LSB. Make sure you set "WIDESHIFT OFF" however.

You will also need to make sure you have set your pactor callsign using
"MYPTCALL".

The PK-232 is still sold by Timewave and they offer various upgrades if you
need them. You can even add in a sound card interface so you can use the PK-232
with newer sound card software as well the traditional modes.

If you Google "pk-232mbx manual" you will undoubtedly find a pdf manual which
will really help.

K7TMG

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Westerfield" <r_lwesterfi...@...>