I agree Jim, ALE400 would make sense.  In general, the current failing of
standard ALE to take off are , I think,  linked to attempts to popularize
ALE for emcomm use.  While ALE concepts do lend themselves to emergency
communication nets, the gist of this thread is related to plain old ham
radio, having a normal QSO.  Having a standard calling digital mode , and a
way to then switch modes to suit conditions .  This would eliminate the
endless CQ calling in odd-ball  modes  and increase the chances of actually
getting a reply.   To regular ALE users my idea is like reinventing the
wheel, because what I propose is what ALE can do already.  However, getting
people to actually deploy ALE and also eliminate unattended operations, is
an impossible task.

Andy K3Uk