On 9/1/2010 5:19 PM, raf3151019 wrote:

And the same common sense attitude which occurs in Canada is also applied to the use of frequencies in the UK. There are sections of the bands which are agreed internationally and everybody accepts it. Although it rarely happens I don't agree with the ruling that operators of Morse code are permitted to transmit where they please anywhere on any band. Why ? Why should such a ruling still exist, for what purpose, other than to irritate those using telephony ?

G0GQK

Mel, I suspect the reason is mostly historical, and because at one time, when telephone just failed to communicate, and everyone understood Morse, CW could get through. In fact, for VHF and UHF weak-signal operation today, it is very common practice to switch between phone and CW when signals are too weak to be understood by phone. I don't think the ruling continues to exist in order to irritate phone operators...

Assuming that a phone operator can still decode Morse by ear, it is possible to cross-communicate with phone and CW, but this is not possible with modern digital modes, like PSK31 and Pactor to telephony (PSK31 operators can understand phone, but the reverse is not true), so there is no way to insure frequency sharing without legal separation between phone and digital. F6CTE now has invented RSID, which helps digital modes to cross-communicate with each other, and therefore negotiate the use of a frequency, by making it easy to switch to another's mode automatically. However, not everyone uses this capability yet.

Of course, the importance of cross-communication is being able to ask if a frequency is busy, or ask someone to move if it is.

73, Skip KH6TY