Well according to the official RAC bandplan:

40M - bandwidth 6 kHz
7.000   7.035   CW
7.035   7.050   Digital
7.040   7.050   Intnl packet
7.050   7.100   SSB
7.100   7.120   Packet R# 2
7.120   7.150   CW
7.150   7.300   SSB +

So that's where the problem lies. It would be nice to have co-existing band
plans. It was something that Canada and the USA cooperated on for a number of
years but I don't know if they bother talking to each other now. They have a
hard enough time talking to their own operators. So according to the official
RAC band plan in Canada I am not supposed to operate digital on 7.070. That's
where common sense comes into play. Anyway sorry that a Canadian station did
that to you. I hope it wasn't intentional.

Paul
VE9NC