All,

The Register is running an article that reads like the
researchers have missed the point:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/28/super_calculators/
or at least they are using a very poor example, since the
software looks interesting: http://www.cs.swan.ac.uk/calculators/

To quote from the article:
"Researchers at the University of Swansea have come up with a
new interface for pocket calculators that they say will make it
even easier for people to solve difficult sums."

I thought the design aim of calculators was to make it easy for
people to solve the kind of problems that commonly occur (ie, easy
problems)?

The example given: "... 4 x -5 is, people tend to key in 4 x - 5, and
so end up with the result -1."  Several calculators I have tried work
this way, but isn't that intentional?  Somebody accidently hits the wrong
key, then presses the correct one and gets the expected answer.
4 x (-5) delivers the expected result.

derek

--
Derek M Jones                                     tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]