Frank Wales wrote:
> Bjorn Reese wrote:
>> The students used longer titles, such as "count number of
>> occurrences" and "find if any element is of some sort", whereas the
>> professionals used short titles, such as "count" and "find".
>>
>> This could indicate that the looping constructs belong to the
>> basic-level category (Rosch, 1978) of the professionals but not
>> of the student.
>
> Or it could mean that the students were in the habit of being
> overly verbose in answering questions, since terseness is generally
> not rewarded in exams, while it often is rewarded in business.

This is a good observation.

The study was not designed to investigate this issue. The subjects were
only asked to give a descriptive title so that I could check that they
knew what the loop was doing. The difference in title length was an
unexpected outcome, and the basic-level category comment is best
speculation I could come up with.

I just went back and read the questionnaire responses once more. The
questionnaire had a number of questions where the subjects were asked
to describe something in their own words. The verbosity of the students
and the professionals on these other questions are about the same, so
I somewhat doubt that the difference on the loop titles is due to the
different reward systems as you suggest.