Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2023 9:26 AM
To: Elmore’s
Cc: discuss-gnuradio@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Index Error: output_index < noutputs

Hi Jim,

On 29/09/2023 17.58, Elmore’s wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I thought that since I imported the Receive constructor I would be able to create a new instance of the Receive class not a new class.

You are creating a new instance (not a new class) and this is exactly your problem. In freq.py you need to obtain a reference to the instance that has been created in your top flowgraph and call set_wave_select to this instance.
Also, since a message is asynchronous I don’t think that will work since I need precise timing.

But your solution is not any more synchronous then using messages. In gnuradio all blocks are running in their own threads in parallel (more or less) and have their own input and output buffers. Each block consume and produce samples as fast as it can. The fact that one block currently process the N-th sample does not necessary means that the other block is also processing this very same N-th sample. Depending on the sampling rate this other block can be few million samples behind (if it is a downstream) or ahead. Calling a member function is not any more synchronous than sending a message because you don't know how far behind or ahead is the other block. Both solutions are non-deterministic - every time you run the flowgraph with the same input you would get slightly different result.

P.S.
Please keep the mailing list address in the loop.

Regards,
Vasil

Jim

Sent from my iPhone