Kurt Keville wrote:
> I wonder if this
> approach would scale up and down to laptop drives? It may be that you
> get higher density with that form factor... it will be more robust I
> would think.

Higher density, sure, but robust? Because 2.5" drives are more hardened
against physical shock?

I see a lot more enterprisy products for 2.5" drives these days. You can
find RAID cages, rack servers, and blades all designed for 2.5" drives.

When you have to halt selling services because you've ran out of space
in your data center, then using smaller drives, even if they cost a
premium, makes sense. (I've seen numerous ISPs saying they can't
provision any new servers at the moment because their data center is full.)

If you don't have those space constraints, then obviously the 3.5"
desktop drives still offer the most storage for the money. At 1TB
capacity, you pay about 100% premium for 2.5".

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
> The first true 1TB laptop drive came out recently; there was an
> earlier 2.5" 1TB drive from Western Digital but it was too thick to
> fit in most modern laptops.

When I recently bought a 1TB 2.5" drive, I noticed the WD offering was
12.5mm, and so I bought a 9.5mm Samsung:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152291

which NewEgg now lists as deactivated. I wonder why.

I see there is also a Seagate "enterprise-class nearline drive for
space-constrained data centers" that is 15mm. Probably too think to fit
most laptops, and thus the pitch for enterprise markets.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA