Daniel Feenberg wrote:
> And what would be wrong with the Antec Twelve Hundred case, available
> from Microcenter for $185?
>
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0361137
>
> Not rack-mountable, but otherwise a fine, quiet case with  lots of air
> movement and space for 12 drives.

Seems fine if you don't care about space. (It's 20" high and 22" deep.)
If that size case works for you, I'm pretty sure you can find others
like it for half as much.

My SOHO-class NAS specs would house 5 or 6 drives in an enclosure no
larger than necessary to hold the drives, plus power supply, and
mini-ITX motherboard.

The drive bays should be trayless, like these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215081&Tpk=iStarUSA%20BPU-350SA

The problem with these bays is that they cost as much as the entire case
and power supply should cost ($115). Which is no doubt why you never see
them used on SOHO-NASs. The bays are integral into the case design.

Also, many of these bays aren't space efficient, as they are made to go
into 5.25" bays, with wasted space on the side (1.75"). However 5-bay
units are designed to mount with the 3.5" drives vertically oriented,
resulting is less wasted space (.89" - you need some space for the eject
mechanism). (They should provide better ventilation, too.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA