On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Do Hong Phuc <dhongp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16p...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Do Hong Phuc <dhongp...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > This issue makes our migration some hundreds users from Ms Office 2k7 to
>> > LibO postponed.
>> A temporary workaround is using LibOffice Base.
>>
>> I don't think a spreadsheet is designed for handling that much data,
>> but a database is.
>>

> OK, pls shouldn't be mixed up the function. Calc is Calc & Base is Base.
By using Calc instead of Base, I mean: you have another way to handle data
that include more than 65536 records.

Keep a PC running Excel 2003/2007.
Do not *update* existing xls 2003, 2007, keep them as read-only.
Use odt or base whenever you create new spreadsheets.

> Not
> all Calc-Users know Base, but vice versa, all Base-Users know well Calc.
> Furthermore, many enterprises depend on Excel for their everyday works with
> lot of customer-info more over 65536 rows.
LibO and Excel - whichever versions - are not 100% compatible.

The issue is on the decision maker side that expect too much.

> And with Excel or Calc, the
> spreadsheets can be shared to not-professional-users.
Please FIXME if I am wrong: You are right, as of now, LibO 3.3 doesn't
support multi user sharing over network (share).

A little training is unavoidable, albeit LibO Base/MS Access or
Excel/Calc are not hard to learn.

Use Base if you want to share the data over network.

> Migration from Ms Office 2k7 to LibO is a quite a complexible plan which
> shouldn't be inversed. If failed & inversed to Ms Office. LibO will never
> has stand in that enterpise again, although the high cost of Ms Office. I
> call it One-Way-Migration.
Lower your requirement if you are a decision maker, or persuade the
decision makers doing so.
Migration is a pain that last once, after that, you are free from the Matrix.

> I can surely say if we're all using Ms Office 2k3, LibO is a must choice for
> alternative.
To make life simple, LibO won't allow exporting files in MS Office
2010 formats? (FIXME)

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] ( in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )