On 02/21/2011 02:16 PM, Mark Preston wrote:
> I'm about ready to load up LibreOffice and start running it for work
> but have really one simple question before I do. Background is I will
> be running it on Windows Vista, currently run OpenOffice and will be
> using it near daily including with MS Office documents and presentations.
>
> So the question is: can I load LibO side-by-side with OpenOffice and
> if not what is the procedure to load LibO and - should there be
> probelms - to reload OpenOffice? Most importantly, this is a
> multi-user system so it needs to be loaded for at least three users.
> Any advice much appreciated.

It's an issue:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/
<quote>
For Windows users that have OpenOffice.org installed, we advise
uninstalling that beforehand, because it registers the same file type
associations.
</quote>

The issue is that LO uses the same executables as OOo (swriter, etc) and
hasn't yet cleaned up the code to use something else (lowriter, etc).
This can cause *considerable* issues with OOo and LO coexisting on the
same Windows system. If you want to have both installed (on Windows -
it's no issue on linux) at the same time, then I'd suggest installing
'in parallel', see:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel#Windows>

So at this point (on Windows) you are better off with either/or: OOo or
LO, but not both at the same time.