on 08/03/06 22:10, Heath Raftery at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've been doing a bunch of testing on 3.2 really trying to stress it
> hard. I'm afraid I simply cannot reproduce these issues. The odd
> thing is that basically very little has changed in the connection
> side of things, so this has got me beat at the moment.
>
> I have seen the "unable to create new processes" thing come up
> occasionally though and am considering some workarounds. In the mean
> time, you could try increasing the maximum number of processes
> allowed by the system using sysctl:
>
> To show the current limit:
> % sysctl kern.maxproc
> To change the limit:
> % sudo sysctl -w kern.maxproc=1000
>
> And on my end I'll look into setrlimit and alternative ways to invoke
> processes (perhaps akin to Apache or Squid).
>
> Regards,
> Heath

I have been running for about a week with a larger number of maximum
processes and I have to report that Authoxy 3.2.5 hasn't given me any
problem so far, none whatsoever. I followed the directions in at
MacOSXHints.com to permanently increase those limits through a launchd
config file. My soft limit is currently 512 and my hard limit is 2048. No
problem so far.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

larval stage: n. Describes a period of monomaniacal concentration on coding
apparently passed through by all fledgling hackers. Common symptoms include
the perpetration of more than one 36-hour hacking run in a given week;
neglect of all other activities including usual basics like food, sleep, and
personal hygiene; and a chronic case of advanced bleary-eye. Can last from 6
months to 2 years, the apparent median being around 18 months. A few so
afflicted never resume a more `normal' life, but the ordeal seems to be
necessary to produce really wizardly (as opposed to merely competent)
programmers. See also wannabee. A less protracted and intense version of
larval stage (typically lasting about a month) may recur when one is
learning a new OS or programming language.