As you quite rightly say, the $() 'doohickey' returns a jquery object that
is a bit like an array of zero or more html elements.
Without some help, regular javascript won't know what to do with the
doohickey, so if you need the element itself you extract it using the
.get(0) method (where 0 means you want the first item in the jquery
'array').

So you need to change you example to look like this:

  iframe = $("#editorpane") ;     // Fetch a jquery array containing one
element.
  iframe.get(0).contentWindow.document.designMode = "on";

  Note: You may also see different syntax in some examples, they mean the
same thing: iframe[0] & iframe.get(0)

I hope this is what you're after

George