> Seems to be a closure problem: The parameter of the outer function
> gets not into the scope of the inner closure, which I thought it would do:
>

> $(this).click(function(e) {
>     $(this).load(url, function() {
>
>         // where's e?
>
>     });
>});

Here's my guess.

jQuery's event handling normalizes the incoming parameter using e = e ||
window.event, and of course IE is the reason why you need that since it
doesn't pass an event argument to the handler. So in IE the global
window.event object is passed in, and that object is going to change after
the call returns. You could either make a copy of the object using
jQuery.extend or just copy off the elements you need, as you did.