> Is it important for us to be concerned with our Web portal applications
> degrading gracefully if the user has scripting disabled in their browser?

That's a question only you (and your team and your managers) can
answer.  But don't code yourself into a corner if you don't have to.
Consider what happens next year when your sales team has a big fish on
the line but the sale is contingent on portal access via mobile
browser.  How fast can you adapt to new requirements like that?
Requirements *always* change - usually before you've even satisfied
the first round of them.