> What do you mean the by UTF-8 contains all characters?

utf-8 is an encoding for unicode characters, see
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

The unicode norm contains all characters that exist in all languages known
to humanity.

> UTF-8 does not contain the danish letter æ,ø, and å. ISO 8859-1 does.

Yes it does, but they are not encoded the same way. In iso-latin, a few
accentuated characters exist, and are encoded on a single byte. In UTF8
these will be represented by two bytes.

> Anyway I usually develop apps with .NET but this particular projects is in
> PHP and I haven't seen any functions to iso encode with but I think I'll
> write my own little function. That seems to be the only way.

You can probably use utf8_decode(), see
http://www.php.net/manual/da/function.utf8-decode.php

-- Fil