Gee, I just love quantifying qualities </irony> But, in this case,
have you considered adapting the medical Wong-Baker visual "pain"
scale? <there's a pretty good article on it at
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pain_scale>

there's a 10 point measurement at
<http://www.anes.ucla.edu/pain/FacesScale.jpg>

In any case, I think that's as good a place to start as any. I've
used versions of it -- very informally -- when doing user testing for
years.

But, in any case, that's the closest thing I've ever seen to a
measurement of frustration.

One of the things that I think is most important is to remember that
once you've settled on definitions of the various levels of
frustration, the user is the *only* acceptable source for the
measurement. You can't watch them and guess, you have to let them
rate it themselves. I find that the best way to do this is to put
together a rating pop-up that you can trigger. Tell the user it's
random. Then when you observe apparent frustration, you can trigger
the user to measure it. It lessens the effect of the user trying to
please the tester.

In any case, good luck.

Katie

--