Good points, perhaps we could start another thread on what makes Personas
 actually useful?
 I agree that the artifact alone, especially if it is cute, has distractor
 information.

 One of the real values I think is that the different personas represent
ways
 in which a user approaches a product or service from a fundamentally
 different perspective, experience level and or motivation.

 So for example in a data mining application, .a system administrator who
might set
 up queries for others to use will  need different things from a UI than an
analyst who
uses the  product every day.

Both of those users will have a  fundamentally different experience,
motivation and perspective for the
 information from a CEO who may look at a dashboard view many times during
 the day to make imporatant decisions.  Knowing all of these perspectives in
 detail would prevent SQL commands from the UI except in places where Admins
 need them, etc. (I saw this happen on a real product once)

 So in addition to the communication value, there can be real design
criteria
 that emerge from detailed personas and the use cases that are different
 under each one.

 Ron
 www.designperspectives.com