Great thread.
I read "About Face" and then I attended a short course at CooperU this summer.
I learned how to do personas correctly. It was revealing for me and I recommend
CooperU to any and all that are serious about ui/ux.
Immediately after my glorious summer I went to work, under contract, for a
major software company based in the Pacific Northwest. Here, in the winter of
my discontent, I am told, "We don't do personas".
Digging further, it seems that personas have been corrupted from having too
much distance between the creation of the personas (years ago) and the use of
the personas. This allows old end-user interview data to be replaced by
subjective stakeholder opinon and invalidates the whole process. For each
separate product, a fresh set of personas need to be prepared. THIS is where
the rubber actually meets the road. Do the user research. It is the tough part.
It seems unproductive, but mistakes will be made otherwise. Critical,
fundamental mistakes will be made.
The toughest part is to take your own self out of the design process. Well, it
is the hard part for me. Personas facilitate this greatly. But I can only lean
on a persona to the extent that I trust it. If the persona was created in the
nineties when Windows95 was the OS, what use is that? Personas are the only way
to move forward confidently with interaction design. They require a lot of work
and there is also a degree of skill that is required in compiling and
correlating interview data to derive the personas. But this is theessential
work of interaction design. Everything else is just the fun stuff.
Dave