The situation described here is not one where consumers have a choice.  That
is, the company involved isn't presenting the new design to consumers and
allowing them to vote with their feet.  Instead, they have noted that the
old design is selling, so they don't see the ROI they could realize from
improving their product and to them the added cost is not justifiable given
that they are able to reach their sales targets just fine with the old, icky
design.  I am not really surprised by that.

The fact is, good UI is a concern to many companies only if standard
measures of ROI are ignored.  From a traditional ROI perspective, UI design
services are a cost that don't have a corresponding, measurable return.  We
know, of course, that good design does have very significant returns on
investment over time, but not without juxtaposition to poor designs.  That
is, in a competitive marketplace, good design is a plus; all things else
being equal, a better designed product will sell better.  For example, given
a first time consumer making a choice between two products that offer the
same functionality, at the same price point, one of which has a better
design... the consumer will generally pick the better designed product.  But
to labor under the illusion that good design in and of itself sells products
is a foolish mistake.  Functionality will almost ALWAYS trump design, for
example.  Price will often trump design.  Availability will necessarily
trump design.  There are many factors that go into making a product saleable
that extend well beyond design, and UI designers need to be cognizant of
this.

What makes a product "usable" is way more than what we might traditionally
think of as design.  "Usable" is a deeply contextual concept, and even
poorly designed products can be considered "highly usable" given a mix of
other factors that have nothing (or little) to do with design.  I know that
is heretical thinking, but the fact is, it is true; I have been doing this a
long time and there are many MANY examples in the market of products that
are badly designed and tremendously successful.  At issue is not the way
consumers buy products; this is not a question of the dumb ignorant masses
being in need of education.  Actually, WE are the ones who need the
education; we need to understand that in the competitive marketplace, good
design is just a part of making a product saleable.  And yes, it can be a
very powerful added value that can catapult a product above and beyond its
competitors.  It can be a defining factor.  But good design is not THE
defining factor... something we would all do well to appreciate.

Just my 2 cents worth.