This seems to apply for many people - in weighing our options in the
near future as she finishes
her doctorate, my fiancee and I have considered moving.  The Bay Area
is one of the few
places we've given serious thought away from our current hometown.
We are aware that this would mean shifting (even with a cost of living
adjustment)
from looking at buying some lovely 3-4 bedroom homes to renting a much
smaller flat...
but for the sake of a multitude of opportunities in what seems to be
the most exciting time
in the field since the bubble, that's not a deal-breaker.
I'd deal with temporary lessened effective buying power to have my
hands in the really cool crap...
if you'll forgive my phrasing.
I know it's not a scientific measure, a good number of my peers that I
respect feel much the
same.

Scott

--
'Life' plus 'significance' = magic. ~ Grant Morrison