You may or may not be at liberty to do this, but my first action in a
case like this would be to examine how much of that complexity was
actually necessary and how much resulted from the development
process. I've seen more cases than I care to think about in which
that kind of examination resulted in a massively simplified
interaction. Questions like "Are we asking users to perform tasks
that could easily be performed by the system or vice versa?" "Are we
dividing up tasks/uses appropriately?" and other such points often
reveal places where you can eliminate several layers of complexity.

But as far as being stuck with what you've got...forget the 120
minute test. The user may or may not fade (probably will, but might
not), however your researcher is definitely going to go nuts during
the course of the 2nd or 3rd test. Look at how users will be
employing the app in real life: will it be something they always go
straight through? Will they be likely to leave it and return? Will
they use it daily, weekly, annually?

This is one of the few cases where I would recommend re-using a
particular set of testers. It looks like you're going to relying on
their memories in order to get any kind of actionable results.

Are there sub-tasks within the overall task? Test those as separate
entities and incorporate what you learn in the app that you test all
the way through.

[It's important to note here that I'm assuming one-on-one testing here]

If they're always going to go straight through then you really need
to test it that way. Make sure you schedule plenty of time between
for your researcher to decompress.

A possible alternative (and sort of a version of the sub-task
testing) is to test A on day 1, save the data or whatever you can or
need to have to start B, and then on day 2 test B. or you can divide
it up as morning session and afternoon session. Just make sure the
testers have been through A as recently as possible so that it can be
relatively fresh in their minds. Ask *them* to walk *you* through
what happened in the previous session. You can also build a mock-up
screen-by-screen review for the testers that they can walk you
through before they begin Section B.

On the whole, though, something where the *testing* is this complex
and difficult to design is likely to be hell to actually use. I wish
you luck.

Katie