Oh, for...

This will probably surprise a lot of you, but I don't actually care what we take "prototype" to mean, vs. model vs. sketch vs.... whatever. I get my panties in a bunch when people claim a commonality of understanding of a word, when that commonality clearly isn't extant. Hence my dictionary definitions. They demonstrate that there are recognized definitions for these words outside of our little sphere. The ongoing discussion illustrates that there are not commonly held definitions for those words *inside* our little sphere. My plea is simply that we stop using words as though we were, individually, the final arbiters of their meaning to the community.

There are perfectly good modifiers that can help us. For example, while some of us may believe that to say "Paper prototype" is deeply wrong, I think we do understand what is meant by it. Similarly, "interactive model" may appear to be both redundant and oxymoronic, but I suspect that we would have a good general idea of what it referred to.

I don't mind having a professional vocabulary - I think it's a very good idea - but the fact that we argue over its elements is ample evidence that it doesn't exist as a commonly understood set of words. The professional vocabulary is still shaking out.

In the meantime, can we try to communicate our questions, comments, answers and discussion in such a fashion that we can understand one another, rather than scoring points off one another for word usage?

Katie Albers
Founder & Principal Consultant
FirstThought
User Experience Strategy & Project Management
310 356 7550
ka...@firstthought.com