Let's back up a step here...why does stuff have to be measurable? Is it no longer possible to assess without numbers? On the whole (and yes, I acknowledge that there are significant exceptions) the SMART methodology did design no service. There are things we know or notice that are simply ineluctable. To say something is "better" is an explicitly non-measurable statement. There are decisions we make that are in spite of data to the contrary...and they result in something "better".

Let's take a really obvious example: Every test I've ever seen shows that people are measurably faster using a mouse-based interface than a command-based interface. At an extremely high level of expertise both in typing and in the app, people do, in fact, become faster using the commands... but "membership" in this group is much smaller than the number of people who believe they are in the group. Thus, we have people using commands when the menus would be faster for them, and swearing by their mothers and their puppies that the commands are faster. You can demonstrate to them that they are slower this way and they will simply not believe you (although some of the reasons" people come up with are really entertaining). Take away their commands, and you will get a lot of people dropping out. If one of the data points you're supposed to be designing to is speed of use, do you take away the commands anyway? (Mind you, I don't think anyone in this field will probably acknowledge being one of those who benefits from menus, so it's almost impossible to get them to consider the possibility of removing the commands anyway).

How do you reconcile data and design (in its broadest sense) here? Why do you need to? Why do we have this aversion to simply admitting that people have non-measurable, but critically important, preferences and we need to acknowledge those and incorporate them into design? (Obviously, in the case of commands, we do just that, but often that's more a matter of default than decision.)

Katie Albers
Founder & Principal Consultant
FirstThought
User Experience Strategy & Project Management
310 356 7550
ka...@firstthought.com