The ugly reality here is that if you were an employee or a work-for-hire
contractor you have no rights to access or show that work. Inherent in those
relationship is ownership of your work, which you do not have. Even had you
backed up all of your work locally, and they asked you to destroy those
copies, you would be legally obligated to do so.
Most employer will allow you use work that is not confidential in your
portfolio. Once the work is public domain, in other words published or
publicly used, you can claim credit