Let me add some clarification...

I agree that 15 is probably too many. I also disagree that 5 is the right
number... the answer will be "it depends". Rather than give you a recipe...
I was trying to suggest a process. I assumed you had talked to the client
and that telling them, "15 is too many" had not been effective.

The next step for me would be to put together a scope of effort for the
personas, ask them to prioritize the groups (you should be asking for this
anyway) and then come to conclusions as a team. Some clients will accept
your recommendation and some will not. Those (not) often need to come to
those conclusions on their own. It's better if they have that realization
while working with you.

Mark