This is where experience enters the discussion, I think.

There are a few skills that can only be learned through exposure. The
ability to sell a design solution -- and adjust that solution, and
partner with business and development to move that solution to market
-- is critical, as is the ability to see the people you work with who
aren't designers as partners rather than as obstructions (I really
wish this would be taught in school!).

The way to pick up the ability to work with others in an effective
manner is to ... work with others. No big surprise.

-Anne

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM, mark schraad <mschr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this is not too much of a tangent...
>
> Over the last month I have probably looked at close to a hundred resumes.
> This is only partially specific to the Chicago area, but there is a ton of
> talent out there. There are a lot of folks with excellent educational
> background, wonderful experience and great portfolios to show. What I find
> myself more and more concerned with is the ability to partner with product
> and technology folks to move great design forward and into the market.
> Frankly, it really does not matter if you are the worlds greatest uber
> designer...
> if you can't sell it, work collaboratively and push your passion through the
> labyrinth of compromise. Not everyone needs to have these skills, but in my
> world it will surely get you hired quicker and make you a more complete
> professional.
>
> This has been my call to the world of education (both under grad and grad)
> for the last year or so. You have to do more than supply studio skills. You
> have to teach students to think, to adapt, to explore and to work in their
> future environment.
>
> Mark

Anne Hjortshoj | a...@annehj.com | www.annehj.com | Skype: anne-hj |
Hjortshoj is pronounced "YORT-soy."