I definitely concede your point that a limited budget results in sacrificed
quality, as you cannot get 100% of what you want from any area of your team.

However, I disagree with this premise:
If you need a researcher and a front-end developer, and the front-end
developer doesn't have background and proficiency in research---regardless
of "passion"--they'll be a front-end developer. And your research will fall
by the wayside.

I don't start with "I need a researcher and developer", I start with "I need a
usable product that efficiently meets the business needs".

Realistically, there is no such thing as a perfectly staffed team.  I gain and
lose with everyone on-hand (including myself).  If I had the budget to outfit
every team by strict disciplines, I would a) convince the management they're
spending way too much money on the type of projects on which I work, and b)
completely miss every deadline and requirement due to managing 13-15 people.

Yes, it's true: a front-end developer, who is passionate and wants to become a
better interaction designer and learn user research techniques, won't have the
full breadth of a dedicated researcher.  On the other hand, I rarely get a
dedicated Java developer, QA or network engineer, either.  I also have a strong
background in user research, to help our intrepid front-end developer advance
his skills.

As worthwhile as it sounds, a perfectly documented study explaining the faults
and opportunities for my application, is perfectly useless if I have no one to
execute them.  A seasoned front-end developer can mentor junior back-end
developers in the finer arts of their craft, while learning new skills in user
research.  Everyone shares, everyone plays.  It takes a village =]

Bryan Minihan