OK, I think this page explains it all:
http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html

I've made the notification but so far no response.  I respectfully
submit that others should follow the same instructions on that page to
report the situation and bring it under control.  I also don't think
it's simple "backscatter" unless you include intentional backscatter in
your definition.  From what I can see, this is one or more persons
bashing the servers intentionally thinking they might accomplish
something by being a nuisance and stopping it is a simple matter for the
PTB.
   However you look at it, the reports should be submitted by as many
people here as are willing to do so in order to get it stopped.

So, guess it's up to the group for the most part.  I'm done and have
done what I can within bounds of the charters/rules etc.  If it keeps
up, I'll have my first valid use for a killfile entry.

Twayne