jonathon wrote:
On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 15:35, Patric Urbane wrote:

simple Ctrl + F in MS Word but this little function makes it a lot more

<alt>< i >   then < . > then  <return>

If you'd prefer <CTRL><F> then:
">Tools  >Customize >Keyboard"
">Functions >Category >Insert"
">Functions >Function >Insert footnote"
"Shortcut  Keys >CTRL F"
click save, then  OK.

I think it would be appropriate if OpenOffice supports this in future, too. I
hope you all agree!

It is supported, but perhaps not quite in the manner you expected.

jonathon
It is questions like this that make me think that OOo should include a pair of manuals in the download package, either in PDF or ODF formats, the presence of which would be made obvious the first time you opened the suite. The help provided under the help button is totally inadaquate. One should be a quick start manual, and the other should go into extensive detail about all the modules. If there are manuals there now, I have not found them which shows that if they are there, they are too hard to find.