Dear All,

I am Bennett Kankuzi, an MSc in Computer Science student at the
University of Botswana. I am new to this list.

I am working on some research topic in  spreadsheets. One of the basic
questions in this research is  on the idea of goals in spreadsheets.
Since a spreadsheet is a program, it has to have high-level goals
which are implemented by plans as in procedural programming. Another
question that comes to mind is: how can one identify high-level goals
in a created spreadsheet? In attempting to answer this question, I am
proposing that sink cells (output cells) are representing high-level
goals of the spreadsheet program. (A sink cell can be defined as a
formula cell without any dependent cells yet it has precedent cells.
An input cell will only have dependent cells. Computational cells have
precedent and dependent cells since they are intermediary
computations)

Why can sink cells represent goals ? Goals are what the user wants to
achieve. In other words, these are the primary results the user wants
to see. Output cells or sink cells contain these results otherwise
they could be used as part another formula (intermediary computation)
and therefore they could have dependent cells.

Is my proposal alright? Or do you know of any research papers on goals
and plans in spreadsheets that could help answer my question?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Bennett
--