I'll second the recommendation for Model-Glue. I've built apps using MachII, and I've having to re-learn some stuff now that I'm working with Model-Glue. But overall, I would say that Model-Glue will be easier to learn. Just know that either requires learning object-oriented architecture, which is its own giant step. In fact, I'd say that's the biggest hump to get over: getting into an object-oriented, tiered mindset.

Another reason to consider Model-Glue is that there is heavy development going on in integrating ColdSpring (a framework that does depency injection and a bunch of other stuff) and Reactor (an ORM framework that creates "active records" somewhat like Ruby on Rails does, and lets you create or update a record by just doing ' myRecord.save()' - without having to write the query statement) with Model-Glue. You don't have to use these to use Model-Glue, but you'll probably want to. All of these frameworks are on track to release at CFUnited late this month (at least, they hope so). The core will be Model-Glue 2.0, which Joe Rinehart, the developer, is calling a "Unity" release. Take a look at http://www.model-glue.com and Joe's blog entries at http://clearsoftware.net/index.cfm?

You can find info about ColdSpring at http://www.coldspringframework.org/index.cfm? and Reactor at http://www.doughughes.net.

All three frameworks have very active - and helpful mailing lists.

-
Thanks,

Tom

Tom McNeer