Think of validation like a pair of funnels (input/output) with business logic in the middle. Your data must pass through the funnel successfully on input before being put into the business logic. Data must be passed through a screen on output to ensure it doesn't contain any malicious metacharacters, such as < or > for XSS, on output.

-dhs

Dean H. Saxe, CISSP, CEH
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Dissent is the purest form of patriotism."
    --Thomas Jefferson