On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Bruce Hodgdon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there any way to force a new session,  if a user opens a new tab then
> goes to the same app that is in the first window?

Short answer - no.

> I have found that sometimes users will open a new tab and go to the same
> application basically executing the app twice from different windows.

This is a pretty common user behavior, and I (as a user) would expect
any site to handle this gracefully.

> I guess one way around this is cookieless sessions

I don't think this will do anything to solve your problem.

> Or is there a good way to tell if the user does have 2 windows open with the
> same session?

Not really.  Why don't you attack this a different way?  Since I think
the whole "open in two tabs" behavior is pretty normal, I don't think
you should try to mess with the user's experience by trying to prevent
it.

What specifically does your app do that's bad when two tabs are open?
I suspect changing the app's architecture to gracefully deal with two
open tabs will be easier, and will make for a more positive user
experience at the same time.

Frankly, if I tried to a open a site in a second tab and it prevented
me from opening the tab or reset my session, I'd think it was a poorly
designed site and be grumpy.

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress