Dear Anna Maria Feit,

I am reading your paper How we Type. I’m a member of the Neo-Layout
community¹ and working on algorithmic optimizations of keyboard
layouts. For this we try to identify cost factors while typing — what
kinds of movements are problematic for typists — and use them to
optimize the keyboard layout to reduce strain on the hand.

I thought that (a) this might interest you, and (b) your data might
provide part² of the information we need to improve the optimizer.

Our current results are documented in the readme³ and the configuration
file⁴ of one of our optimization programs.

Can you provide access to your timing data in a way which allows us to
derive cost factors from it?

Best wishes,
Arne

¹: http://neo-layout.org

²: I assume that this will only provide part of the information, because
   your data is gathered from people who trained to use the movements in
   the QWERTY layout. However your result that the language does not
   matter so much hints at much easier application of the data.

³: README, partially in german:

https://bitbucket.org/ArneBab/evolve-keyboard-layout/src/81700c3d2765b6ae0f25164a3e53483340d3b956/README

⁴: config file describing the cost factors. The implementation is in a
  separate code file⁵:

https://bitbucket.org/ArneBab/evolve-keyboard-layout/src/81700c3d2765b6ae0f25164a3e53483340d3b956/config.py

⁵: Implementation of the cost factors:

https://bitbucket.org/ArneBab/evolve-keyboard-layout/src/81700c3d2765b6ae0f25164a3e53483340d3b956/layout_cost.py