On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:11 AM, zooko <zo...@zooko.com> wrote:
>> Why not?  Aren't there setuptools plugins available for the common DVCSes?
>

> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools_hg
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools_darcs
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools_bzr
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools-git
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools_mtn

One particular annoyance is that the svn integration built-in to
setuptools tends to break every time a major release of Subversion
comes out (e.g. setuptools broke when 1.5 came out, is probably
currently broken with 1.6, etc.). The "stable" version of setuptools
was broken wrt. svn 1.5 for so long that someone made a temporary fork
of setuptools and provided a svn 1.5 compatible build. It was annoying
to say the least, because it prevented us from upgrading to 1.5 for a
while.

Given what setuptools is trying to accomplish I think its release
cycle is just too slow... although I am grateful it exists because it
saves me of having to remember a substantial quantity of distutils
minutiae and it does in general make it easier for me to install
(most) things.

-bob