One particular annoyance is that the svn integration built-in to setuptools tends to break every time a major release of Subversion comes out (e.g. setuptools broke when 1.5 came out, is probably currently broken with 1.6, etc.). The "stable" version of setuptools was broken wrt. svn 1.5 for so long that someone made a temporary fork of setuptools and provided a svn 1.5 compatible build. It was annoying to say the least, because it prevented us from upgrading to 1.5 for a while.

I'm the maintainer of the setuptools_darcs plugin, and it broke when darcs v2.0 came out, but since it is a little separately-packaged plugin it was easy for me to fix it and distribute a fixed plugin.

Regards,

Zooko