On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Eric Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:

>>> Exactly:  using entry points for console scripts guarantees that the
>>> python into which the corresponding distribution is installed is the one
>>> used to run the script, which is *highly* desirable.  Otherwise, you end
>>> up with the "just install everything in the system Python's
>>> site-packages" mess.
>>
>> ... and somewhere around here we end up with what I described as an
>> over-engineered solution.
>
> Or, what I call a minimal set of required functionality.
>
>> By trying to satisfy everyone's requirements, you ultimately satisfy
>> no-one's.
>
> Not sure I agree, but in any event that's certainly not a reason to try and
> make a generally useful solution.
>
> I think entry points and scripts are two issues that shouldn't be conflated.
> Entry points are generally useful (to me and others), and having a way of
> the installer knowing about scripts and generating correct wrappers for them
> (in a cross-platform way) is also generally useful (to me and others).

Two current problems I have with console scripts with setuptools are:

1.  Different versions of Python conflict with previous versions of
console scripts.  Take paste for example.
2.  The entry point mechanism IIRC recursively scans the site-packages
directory and loads up the system path with eggs.  This is too
expensive of an operation for the current environment I work in.
3.  There doesn't seem to be a clean way to inject user specific
environment details to the console script.
I often need the ability to alter the sys.path in a user specific way
for the entry point without needing to mess up the global sys.path
permanently.

> scripts currently use entry points is a design detail that perhaps doesn't
> need to be exposed.
>
> Eric.

Noah