Eric Smith wrote:
Paul Moore wrote:
2009/5/7 Tres Seaver <tsea...@palladion.com>:
Eric Smith wrote:
Yes. It creates a .exe wrapper [1]. By using entry points, I don't need
to care what the target system is. Also, /usr/bin/env might invoke the
wrong python.
Exactly:  using entry points for console scripts guarantees that the
python into which the corresponding distribution is installed is the one
used to run the script, which is *highly* desirable.  Otherwise, you end
up with the "just install everything in the system Python's
site-packages" mess.

... and somewhere around here we end up with what I described as an
over-engineered solution.

Or, what I call a minimal set of required functionality.

+1.

<flame>Anyone who's arguing against this is either not deploying stuff in a repeatable fashion, and so isn't serious in my books, or is so serious that they're cutting vm images to roll out and so dump everything for the app in site packages</flame>

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk