At 10:26 PM 9/20/2009 -0400, David Lyon wrote:
> Eh?  It's *possible* to specify it in those places now, but
> well-behaved packages never do.

Not on windows, outside of the c:\pythonXY directory.

Create a setup.cfg with an [install] section and you can make it install wherever you tell it to... when installing using setup.py. (bdist_wininst and bdist_msi are something else altogether.)

Define well behaved..

If you are saying that Python observes all microsofts
recommendations under windows and is "well-behaved" I think
I'd have some comments about that.

"Well behaved" is installing a python program to "Program Files"
but distutils doesn't allow this to my knowledge.

It most certainly does; but not in a bdist_wininst or bdist_msi (AFAIK), and definitely not by default. You'd need to specify the location on the command line.

> If platform/pyver-specific dependencies are all that's required,
> there's a way to specify them using setuptools' existing dependency
> syntax, using "extras".

But you have told everybody that setuptools is dead... and
you don't have any plans to work on it any more..

You are misrepresenting my statements. I have neither called it dead nor have I said I don't have plans to work on it any more. (In fact, I've said the opposite, noting that the existence of Distribute makes the possibility of doing some advanced work on setuptools *more* likely, because I needn't worry so much about the maintenance backlog.)