On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gomm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hmm, taking a compile flag and encoding it in the package layout seems
> like a fundamentally wrong approach.

well, it's pretty ugly hack, but sometimes an ugly hack that does the job
is better than nothing.

IIUC, the Intel MKL libs do some sort of dynamic switching at run time too
-- and that is a great feature.

> And in order to not litter the source tree and all installs with lots of
> empty dirs,

where "lots" what, 3? Is that so bad in a project the size of numpy?

 the changes to __init__.py will have to be made at build time based on
> whether you're building Windows binaries or something else.

That might in fact be nicer than the "litter", but also may be a less
robust and more annoying way to do it.

> Path manipulation is usually fragile as well.

My first instinct was that you'd re-name directories on the
fly, which might be more robust, but wouldn't work in any kind of
secure environment. so a no-go.

But could you elaborate on the fragile nature of sys.path manipulation?
What might go wrong there?

Also, it's not out of the question that once such a system was in place,
that it could be used on systems other than Windows....

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov