On Sat, May 7, 2016, 12:16 Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
>
>> What fields there will be and their semantics ...
>>
>>    1. Format version (so just deciding on a name -- which also includes
>>       whether it should be top-level or in a subsection -- and initial value)
>>       2. The actual bootstrap field (so its name and what to do if a
>>       dependency is already installed but at a version that doesn't match
>> what
>>       the bootstrap specification asks for)
>>
>> Am I missing anything?
>>

> So what is this new configuration file supposed to cover?

How to specify what has to be installed to simply build a project, e.g. is
setuptools needed to run setup.py, and if so what version?

All the package meta-data? i.e. everything that would be needed by a
> package manager to properly install the package?
>

> or the build meta-data: everything needed by the build system to build the
> package?
>

> both in one file?
>
> And am missing something?

You're missing that you're talking several PEPs down the road. :) Right now
all we are discussing is how to specify what build tools a project needs
(historically setuptools, but in the future it could be flit or something
else).

how is this about "bootstrapping" -- to me, bootstrapping is when you need
> X to build X. Isn't this just regular old configuration: you need x,y to
> build z?

Sure, if you don't like the term "bootstrap" then you can call it "build
requirements". We have not been calling it " configuration" in a general
sense as this doesn't cover how to invoke the build step (that will
probably be the next PEP), just what needs to be installed to even
potentially do a build.

-Brett