On 2017-05-31 20:08:51 -0400 (-0400), Donald Stufft wrote:
[...]
> Both {name} and {version} MUST have any - characters escaped to a
> _ to match the escaping done by Wheel. Thus a sdist for a project
> named foo-bar with version 1.0-2 which is using a .tar.gz
> container for the sdist would produce a file named
> foo_bar-1.0_2.tar.gz.
[...]

While I agree with the reasoning, if this is going to end up
enforced by common tooling in the near future a warning period would
be appreciated as it implies a fairly significant behavior change
which will require quite a lot of adjustments to bespoke automation
(at least for some I maintain, and I'm pretty sure there are plenty
more out there too).
--
Jeremy Stanley