On 2020 Jul 20, at 15:25, David Mathog <dmat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lately I have been working on a CentOS 8 machine, and it has "python2"
> and "python3", but no "python".  Many packages install scripts with a
> shebang like:
>
>   #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> and those do not work on this OS.  Seems like rather a large missing
> dependency which goes by without triggering a fatal error.

How exactly are these packages getting installed?  Last time I checked, both
pip and setuptools automatically set the shebang in scripts (both
console_script entry points and scripts declared with the "scripts" argument to
`setup()`) to use the path of the running Python interpreter.  Are these
packages installed using your system package manager?  If so, you should take
the problem up with its maintainers.

-- John Wodder