On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 4:40 PM John Thorvald Wodder II
<jwod...@gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, your last two messages only went to me, not to the list.  The
> mailing list doesn't set Reply-To on messages or the like, so you have to
> manually set "To: distutils-sig@python.org" when replying.

Aargh, right.  I use gmail for my home mail, and since I'm stuck
working at home, that is what I used here.  Gmail likes to hide, well,
pretty much everything.  I will repost those responses.

> As to your e-mail, though, are any of those files even meant to be executed?
> They're not in bin/; they just appear to be regular source files that some
> developer slapped a shebang on.

That in a sense is the issue.  I don't know, you don't know, maybe the
developer knows (if he/she still remembers).  I really don't want to
do the work to dig through the code for every package I install to
determine if a shebang is used or not.  Yet if I don't figure this out
some end user will run a script (one of a hundred in some package I
installed for their use) which will blow up because of this issue.

The best I can do now is run

   pdvctrl reshebang $TARGET_DIR

or

   pdvctrl reshebang $ROOT_DIR...

and fix them up after the fact.  (pdvctrl from python_devirtualizer here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/python-devirtualizer/).  Even then it
usually has to guess that "python" means "python3" and not "python2",
and sometimes it guesses wrong.  Today's version of that recurring
issue:

  https://github.com/lastz/lastz/issues/30

Regards,

David Mathog