Thanks for leading these two meetings, Mikel. I appreciate that you’re taking
this on even as you clearly communicate that you’d like for some outside the
board to lead!

I participated in the first time slot. A few observations:

1) It was 100% a white/tech participation list, and I’d like to think about
ways to change this in future meetings. I hear that the group was a little
broader for the second time, which is great!

2) Michael predicted a lengthy time for research and fact-gathering. One year
is enormous! The fact-finding needs here are not publication-grade and we can
get by with small initial metrics if we commit to tracking them over time. For
example: we’ve already improved meeting participation diversity in just *four*
hours. Go us.

3) Rory brought up the excellent point that some things in our community go
undebated and brought up the example of self-evident support for open source
technology. Placing a heavy burden of proof on diversity research sends the
message that we’re not going to believe a problem exists until it’s spelled out
in black-and-white, and nobody has patience for that. I was impressed by Ivan
Gayton’s contribution to Heather Leson’s Diary post on this subject: “if you
want to discover whether women (or people of color, or LGTBQ people, or people
from low-income countries, or other folks less represented in global wealth and
power) are experiencing hostility, a good way to do so is to ask them. As
opposed to asking them to prove it.”
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Heather%20Leson/diary/391598#comment46229
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Heather%20Leson/diary/391598#comment46229>

4) Some aspects of the diversity discussion foreground northern/western
participation channels by (for example) wondering why other communities aren't
participating in Talk@, SOTM, or other locations. I’m interested in trying to
flip this question to ask why core board and community participants aren't
showing up in forums like geographic Telegram groups or other locations called
out at https://openstreetmap.community <https://openstreetmap.community/> ? In
a recent post, Allan commented that he was often greeted with surprise by local
communities who had no experience of an OSMF board member reaching out and
saying hello.

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html